You know that feeling when you get on the unit and then realize:
- you left your lunch on the counter
- you can’t find your favorite water bottle
- or the barista messed up your coffee order
- or you’ve already lost your favorite pen!
I swear sometimes how you start your shift can really dictate how the rest of your twelve and a half hours is going to go. I try to have my bag pre-packed with everything I’m going to need and I like to get to work at least 15 minutes early (we’ll see how long this lasts, LOL!).
So, you already know which bag I carry to work, but what’s on the inside? I made a list of all of the things I try to make sure I bring with me for every shift. Do I forget my pencil bag sometimes, or my water bottle? Yes, of course. But on a good day- below is the list of exactly what I carry in my work bag (and yes, I use them all).
Tools You Probably-More-Than-Likely Need As A Nurse:
- Tommie Copper compression socks– ALWAYS!
- Gray jacket by Patagonia
- 32oz Hydraflask (most of us need to get about 64oz of water a day so I try to fill my Hydraflask twice)
- Littman Infant Stethoscope
- Angled utility scissors, hemostats, and straight scissors (I carry my own because for whatever reason, we can never find any on the unit when we need them!)
- Mini USB lamp (sometimes we keep it pretty dark in the NICU and I can’t see the keyboard on my WOW so this tiny lamp is perfect)
- Silicone wedding band (ordered from Amazon)
- Pencil bag with my favorite pens (in red, blue, and black) and a highlighter
- Hair tie, scunci no-slip grip headband, and a mini hair clip
- and my favorite scrubs of course!
ALL ITEMS ARE LINKED UP ON MY AMAZON STOREFRONT—